- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
On September 9th, 1948, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea was officially proclaimed as a state. Three years earlier, the peninsula had been divided setting the stage for a cold war confrontation between two rival governments. Nevertheless, 72 years later the legacy of that division continues to exist. Our spectacular and high quality Founding of the DPRK tour allows you to take a premium insight into the world’s most mysterious country during the day of its national anniversary, which is heralded by the country as a time of revolution and a new beginning following the end to Japanese occupation.
Starting in Beijing and heading to North Korea by train via Dandong, our tour will cover some of the most famed sites of the country including the Pyongyang Metro, the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun (The resting place of the leaders), the Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum and many more. We’ll also be paying a visit to the DMZ border with South Korea and the historic city of Kaesong, take selfies with real North Korea soldiers and visit the spot where Trump and Kim met in 2019. On the day of the anniversary, (September 9th) you will have the opportunity to join in a famous mass dance with locals and a firework display in the evening.
At 895 euros this is an all inclusive package will include your return train trip, hotels, meals and all sites. Payment is possible through either paypal or international bank transfer, beginning with a 30% deposit and the rest being brought on the day of the tour. For an additional fee, we can process your North Korean visa too, a straightforwards and uncomplicated process! Let’s explore the foundation of the DPRK, and discover what this country is truly all about!
September 6th (Sunday)
- Meet your Visit North Korea guide and the rest of the group at 1:30pm at the Beijing Zhong Gu Hotel next to Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll overview the trip itinerary, hand out DPRK visas and train tickets, as well as answer any questions you might have about the trip
- Unless you have opted for an Air Koryo flight, you'll be departing Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the 24 hour sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
September 7th (Monday)
- Those on the overnight train will arrive at Dandong at 7am. You'll have a couple of hours to grab lunch before heading back into the station for Chinese customs and exit.
- The train for Pyongyang will depart at 10am
- Those flying to the DPRK will depart from Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo, we will meet at the airport check in counter!
- Those on the train will arrive at Pyongyang in the evening at 6.45 where the guides will meet you on the platform.
- We will commence our stay in the DPRK with dinner at a local restaurant on Ryomyong Street, a district opened in 2017 by Kim Jong un
- After dinner, we will check into the Sosan hotel
Septmber 8th (Tuesday)
- Today is our Kaesong and DMZ day! A very early start as we've got a lot of ground to cover. Our first stop is the Koryo Museum- An ancient centre of learning at the heart of the ancient Koryo Dynasty. Explore some old Korean artifacts, clothing, coinage and weaponry!
- Outside of the museum sits the Korea stamp stop! Stock up on your stamps, postcards, posters and other memorabilia here!
- Now it's time for the DMZ. First, we'll stop the Panmunjom Gift shop, where you will have another chance to buy hand painted propaganda posters and other assortments
- Our soldier guide, a real KPA officer, will then lead us into the DMZ. He will show us around Panmunjom village where the Armistice talks were held, as well as the signed document itself!
- Next he will take us through to the Joint Security Area, where North Korean, South Korean and American soldiers famously stand face off! Now, it is becoming a centre of peace and subsequently, relaxed in contrast to pass times. There may be an opportunity to cross over into the South Korean side and see the tree planted by Kim Jong-un and President Moon Jae-in last April (we cannot enter South Korea proper
- Lunch at the Tongil Restaurant in Kaesong- try our traditional Korean Pansangi- a series of assorted dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- If you're feeling daring, there is Dog Soup at 5 euro! Or, you can even buy a share a ginseng chicken, apparently it's good for health
- We'll drop by Sariwon City (Capital of North Hwanghae province) to walk in the historic folklore park. We'll also have the chance to view the city from the mountaintop pagoda.
- Re-entering Pyongyang, we will stop at the the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification, otherwise known as "the Arch of Reunification"- longing for the day Korea is reunified
- Dinner at the Lamb BBQ restaurant
- Back to the hotel
September 9th (Founding Anniversary of North Korea)
- To start the day we'll head to Mansudae Fountain park where we can see mosaic pictures of President Kim Il Sung and the leader Kim Jong Il.
- We'll then head up to the nearby Mansudae Grand Hill Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il overlooking the city. Here we will be kindly asked to pay our respects, flowers are optional if you wish.
- After we will check out Kim Il Sung Square at the heart of Pyongyang, in the area we'll visit the Pyongyang Foreign Language bookstore- a great place to buy books to learn about North Korea, as well as other souvenirs, newspapers, postcards, dvds and other tidbits
- Afterwards it's time for a ride on the Pyongyang Metro! We'll be going 6 stops before heading out to the Arch of Triumph- Like that in Paris, but bigger! This magnificent structure celebrates the victory over Japan and the liberation of Korea
- We'll grab lunch at the delicious Pyongyang Hotpot restaurant
- Next we will talk a walk around Moran Hill and observe the holiday atmosphere, where families meet and celebrate
- Special events (optional: approx 20 euros) –These may include a parade, a circus performance, and possibly some other surprises.
- Now for Juche Tower- This stone column monument is the tallest of its kind in the world. It represents the eternally burning flame of the Juche ideology (Optional extra 5 euro to go to the top and see a panaromic view of all Pyongyang!
- Next is the Worker's Party Monument – this enormous sculpture was built in 1995 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Worker’s Party. Its three hands emphasize industry, agriculture and intellectualism.
- We'll be joining in a famous North Korean mass dance with local university students- a fantastic opportunity to get involved with locals
- Dinner at the KITC No.1 Restaurant. You can try famous Pyongyang Cold Noodles, Raenngmyeon, or the delicious traditional Korean rice dish, Bibimbap.
Next, we will wrap up the evening with locals at Kim Il Sung Square and watch the fireworks light up over the Taedong River to celebrate his birthday
Back to the hotel!
September 10th (Thursday)
- We'll start the morning with a visit to the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun, described as the "most sacred place in North Korea"- the palace is the final resting place of former leaders Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong il. Formal attire is required for this site, as well as respectful behaviour.
- After the palace we will tour the Grand People's Study House. The study house is the largest library in the DPRK. It is also a centre of education and courses. Check out their collection of Foreign Language Books, as well as their funky music room!
- After lunch it's time to visit the Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum – as North Korea tell their own story of the conflict between 1950-1953, you can see captured American weapons and vehicles, displays and dioramas from famous battles and much more!
- Outside the museum, all aboard the USS Pueblo – the only US Naval Vessel held captured by another country, seized off the coast of Wonsan in 1968!
- We then head for a special performance at the Mangyondae School Children's Palace, where we also can see children being taught in class!
- Fancy some shopping? We'll next be going to the Kwangbok department store, Pyongyang's largest and most popular supermarket. It is home to exclusive North Korean brands, where you can exchange money to use real local korean won currency!
- To wrap up the day we'll relax and grab some drinks at the famous Taedonggang Brewery, home to North Korea's signature beer!
- Dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant
- Back to the hotel
September 11th (Friday)
- Today is our departure day! Those flying out will depart Pyongyang at 9:00am on Air Koryo, arriving in Beijing at 9:55am local time.
- For those taking the train, we will depart at 10:25am for Beijing. The train will head back to Sinuiju for customs and then back into Dandong, before heading onwards overnight to China's capital, formally ending the tour on May 3rd.
- Return train ticket Beijing/Pyongyang
- Twin room hotel accommodation
- All meals
- All guides, drivers and entry fees (unless specified)
- DPRK visa
- Chinese visas
- International flights
- Any optional spending
No Details Found