Friday March 8th is international women’s day. It’s a day of commemorating female rights, equality and representation around the world in the hope … » Learn More about International Women’s Day Budget Tour
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Friday March 8th is international women’s day. It’s a day of commemorating female rights, equality and representation around the world in the hope of a better future. That excludes nowhere, not least North Korea, where women have played a unique role in what is the world’s most militarized society. To raise awareness for women in North Korea, we are organizing a budget opportunity to visit the country during this ocassion. The trip ultimately aims to provide a unique context to reflect on the position of women in the DPRK and what lies ahead.
We will start off by meeting together with our guide in Dandong China, where we will head to North Korea by train. Once in Pyongyang, the delegation will stay at the city’s Youth Hotel. We will commence on a tour of the city’s most famous sites. There are plenty of exciting things to cover, not least including a trip to the Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum, Juche Tower, Kim Il Sung Square, the Pyongyang Metro, the Grand People’s Study House and many more- all of which women have played a unique role in shaping. For example: at the War Museum, you will get the opportunity to meet with a female soldier of the North Korean army, providing valuable insight into the women’s day experience
As a budget tour, the trip price is 475 euros. This includes all accommodation, meals, guides and the return trip to Dandong-Pyongyang. For 50 euros we can provide you with your North Korean visa, which will be handed out to do you on the commencement of the tour in Dandong. Payment must be resolved before attending the tour. This can either involve making two 50% deposits if there is adequate time in the run up to the trip, or 100% at once. There are multiple means available. Participants must have a double or multiple entry visa for China as well.
If you have any questions about the upcoming program, please email us at [email protected] and we will be most happy to help you!
Thursday 7th March- Entering the DPRK
- Meet your guide at 8:00am inside the entrance of the Dandong Railway Station to collect your train tickets, North Korean visa and head through Chinese exit customs!
- All Board the 9:25am train from Dandong. We'll head over the river towards Sinuiju where we'll go through DPRK entry procedure.
- After this is done, the train will head onwards to Pyongyang. Enjoy the incredible and humbling scenes of the North Korean countryside along the way.
- Whilst travelling, you can buy optional lunch on the train (50RMB extra)
- 6:45pm arrival in Pyongyang where we will meet our guides on the platform
- We'll open our stay with a brief driving city tour of Pyongyang, including us stopping at Kim Il Sung Square for a walk and pictures
- Check in to the Pyongyang Youth Hotel
Friday 8th March
- We'll begin our tour with a look around the main sites of Pyonygang. We'll head to Mansudae Fountain Park and see the mosaics of leaders Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il.
- Up from the fountain park, we'll go to the Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il overlooking the city. Here will be expected to bow, flowers may be purchased as an optional extra.
- As part of our tour's focus, we will take note to the monument of resistance against the Japanese occupation, illustrating the struggle of Korea against Imperial rule from 1905-1945
- Afterwards it is time to see the Grand People's Study House- heralded as North Korea's largest library, built in a traditional Korean style. Check out the courses being taught to foreigners here, as well as the peculiar collection of foreign language books.
- From the study house we'll go for a walk around Kim Il-Sung Square, heading towards Pyongyang's Foreign Language Bookshop – here you can buy books, pins, DVD’s, CD’s and periodicals in English and other foreign Languages
- It's time for a delicious Lunch in the KITC restaurant to try the famous Pyongyang Cold Noodles or a specialty Bibimap.
- After lunch, we'll continue with a trip on the Pyongyang Metro – we'll be taking five stops, getting off at the Arch of Triumph. In line with the theme of the tour The arch celebrates the return of Kim Il Sung after the anti-Japanese war. We'll enter the arch to learn more about this much heralded resistance!
- Next up is the Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. Let the fantastic guide will show us around the magnificent museum which contains weapons, tanks, etc., and captured American equipment!
- After we'll be boarding a ship, the U.S.S Pueblo- the only US Naval Ship still held captive by another nation. Witness the living quarters of American spies and observe the bullet holes in the walls where they exchanged fire with DPRK sailors
- Next up is the Worker's Party Monument- built in 1995 to celebrate 50 years since the party's establishment in the DPRK. The three fists symbolize agriculture, industry and intellectualism
- Stop by the local Mansugyo Beer Bar for refreshments – here there are seven different types of locally brewed beer! Soft drinks, coffee and juices also available
- We'll settle down afterwards for dinner and drinks at the National restaurant with performance!
- Overnight at the Youth Hotel
Saturday 9th March
- It's time to say goodbye. Check out of the hotel and head to Pyongyang railway station to board the 10:20 train to Dandong!
- Lunch is available on the train, we'll be arriving at 5pm! Here we will part as a group. If you need to make any accommodation or a way out of Dandong please let us know!
- Return train trip Dandong-Pyongyang
- All meals
- All accommodation
- All guides and site entry fees
- International flights
- DPRK visa (50 euros if you wish for us to do it)
- China double entry visa
- Any tips and optional spending
start: Thursday 03/07/2019end: Saturday 03/09/2019Group Size: No Size Limitprice: /Person
No Details Found