- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
2018 has been a rollercoaster year on the Korean peninsula. From the bleak woes of potential conflict to the bloom of a peace process which has saw the situation change beyond comprehension. The eyes of the world have been well and truly on the DPRK. In reflection of these events, how about you see out 2018 there? Visit North Korea Presents, the New Year in Pyongyang Tour, your opportunity to celebrate the arrival of 2019 in one of the most unique contexts on Earth.. all for a fantastic budget package!
This fantastic experience will involve seeing the new year out itself in Kim Il-Sung Square, where we will watch an immaculate firework display come midnight! In addition to that, we’ll be checking out all of the usual sights including the Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum, The Pyongyang Metro, The Mansudae Grand Hill Monument and many more! Further nights and sites can be added as an extension to the tour!
Are you ready to celebrate new year in style? Are you ready to usher in what will hopefully be a year of peace, prosperity and progress on the Korean peninsula? We hope for the sake of all it can be a new year to remember. Come join the party in Pyongyang for an immense experience at an immensely low price!
Sunday 30th December
- Meet your guide at 8:00am inside the entrance of the Dandong Railway Station to collect your train tickets, North Korean visa and head through Chinese exit customs!
- All Board the 9:25am train from Dandong. We'll head over the river towards Sinuiju where we'll go through DPRK entry procedure.
- After this is done, the train will head onwards to Pyongyang. Enjoy the incredible and humbling scenes of the North Korean countryside along the way.
- Whilst travelling, you can buy optional lunch on the train (50RMB extra)
- 6:45pm arrival in Pyongyang where we will meet our guides on the platform
- We'll open our stay with a brief driving city tour of Pyongyang, including us stopping at Kim Il Sung Square for a walk and pictures
- Check in to the Sosan Hotel and dinner.
Monday 31st December – New Year’s Eve
- After breakfast, we'll start the day by walking through the peaceful Mansudae fountain park, where there are mosaic pictures of President Kim Il Sung and the leader Kim Jong Il.
- We'll go up from the park towards the nearby Mansudae Grand Hill Monument – the two iconic bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il overlooking the city
- Afterwards it's time for the Grand People’s Study House – The largest library in North Korea! This immense building is built in traditional Korean style- check out their inventory of foreign language books and collection of "western music!"
- Foreign Language Bookshop- with a large selection of books in English and other European Languages as well as other souvenirs followed by a short walk to:
- Kim Il Sung Square- the central square of Pyongyang city and the place where all the action happens.
- Lunch in the KITC Original Restaurant to try delicious Pyongyang Cold Noodles (Naengmyeon) or a traditional Korean Bibimbap dish!
- Pyongyang Metro- we will ride 5 stops on this famous retro Underground!
- We'll get off the metro at the Arch of Triumph- similar to the one in France, only bigger. The Arch celebrates North Korea's struggle against Japanese rule.
- Next we'll head to Juche tower, an iconic stone column celebrating the country's national "Juche" ideology- head to the top and see a magnificent panorama of all Pyongyang!
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum- Let the expert local guide show you around this museum which outlines North Korea's "interpretation" of the 1950-1953 conflict. It features dioramas, locally used weapons, tanks etc, and captured US equipment!
- All board the USS Pueblo- Outside the museum sits the only US Naval Ship still held captive by another nation. Check out the cabins, the spying equipment and the bullet holes where US and North Korean sailors clashed in 1968!
- Worker's Party Monument- Built in 1995, this famous hammer, sickle and calligraphy brush sculpture commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Korean worker’s party.
- We'll be having dinner at the national restaurant, where we'll be treat to a beautiful singing and dancing performance by the local waitresses.
- We'll be anticipating the build up to new year with drinks and celebration at the Koryo Hotel bar
- When the time is ready, we'll be heading down to Kim Il-Sung Square to join locals for an incredibly firework display as 2019 rolls in! Let's hope it is a good year for Korea!'
- Head back to the hotel for drinks... then we might just get to bed!
Tuesday 1st January- New Year’s Day
- It's time to gather our stuff and check out of the hotel. We'll be arriving at Pyongyang station to board the 10:25am train to Dandong
- 5:00pm evening arrival in Dandong
- Here our Tour finishes – Happy new year everybody and all the best for 2019!
- All Hotels
- All meals
- Dandong-North Korea trains
- All guides and sites
- Your DPRK visa (obtained for us for 50 euros)
- Your Chinese double entry visa
- Any international flights
- Any tips, gifts and optional spending in the DPRK
No Details Found