Join us in North Korea to witness the country’s most popular sporting event of the year. The one, the only, the Pyongyang Marathon! For the sixth year running, foreign visitors are allowed to compete as runners, or to simply come and watch at Kim Il-Sung Stadium! It is expected that over 70,000 locals will be spectating and cheering on the runners! If you love big events, this program is an incredible opportunity and one … » Learn More about Pyongyang Marathon Tour
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Join us in North Korea to witness the country’s most popular sporting event of the year. The one, the only, the Pyongyang Marathon! For the sixth year running, foreign visitors are allowed to compete as runners, or to simply come and watch at Kim Il-Sung Stadium! It is expected that over 70,000 locals will be spectating and cheering on the runners!
If you love big events, this program is an incredible opportunity and one of the best on offer to really “get involved” with ordinary North Koreans in a fun, relaxed and bright atmosphere.
If you wish to participate as a runner in the marathon. There are several lengths you choose to participate in, each with an individual entry fee
- Full Marathon (42km/26 miles) – cost of entry is $150USD
- Half Marathon (20km/12 miles) – cost of entry is $100USD
- Mini Marathon (10km/6 miles) – cost of entry is $70USD
- 5KM Marathon (5km/3 miles) – cost of entry is $70USD
The maximum time limit for a full marathon run is 4 hours, half marathon is 2 and a half hours and both the mini marathon and 5km marathon runs are 2 hours. All participants receive a celebratory Pyongyang marathon certificate titled to you. If you fancy yourself as a Mo Farah, the top three men and women in each distance excluding the 5km run can win ceramic vases at a bustling awards ceremony!
There is however, a cap on participants. It’s first come first serve. The total is 1500. If you wish to register as a runner, do so before Feburary.
If not, then simply come and spectate this magnificent event from around the streets of Pyongyang and even attend a local football game at Kim Il-Sung stadium!
Saturday 6th April- Entering the DPRK
- Meet your guide at 8:00am inside the entrance of the Dandong Railway Station to collect your train tickets, North Korean visa and head through Chinese exit customs!
- All Board the 9:25am train from Dandong. We'll head over the river towards Sinuiju where we'll go through DPRK entry procedure.
- After this is done, the train will head onwards to Pyongyang. Enjoy the incredible and humbling scenes of the North Korean countryside along the way.
- Whilst travelling, you can buy optional lunch on the train (50RMB extra)
- 6:45pm arrival in Pyongyang where we will meet our guides on the platform
- We'll open our stay with a brief driving city tour of Pyongyang, including us stopping at Kim Il Sung Square for a walk and pictures
- Check in to the Sosan Hotel and dinner.
Sunday 7th April – It's time for the Marathon
- Watch the magnificent opening ceremony of the event at Kim Il-Sung stadium, then prepare to either get running or to simply sit and spectate!
- Lunch at the Mangyongdae KITC Restaurant – try out some famous Pyongyang Cold Noodles (Raengmyeon) or a tasty Bibimbap rice dish!
- It's time to head back to the hotel, shower and change!
- Afterwards, we'll go on an afternoon city tour. We'll be seing Kim Il Sung Square, talking a walk to the Foreign Language bookstore, Juche Tower (5 Euro extra to go to the top), the worker's party Monument, and the Mansudae Grand Hill Monument (The famous statues of the leaders)
- It's time for more refreshments! We will stop by the Taedonggang Brewery and try out multiple delicious draft beers on tap – coffee, soft drinks, and juices are also available.
- To round up our day, it's time for dinner at the National Restaurant with a special performance from the waitresses.
- Back to the hotel for drinks and socializing!
Monday 8th April- Departure
- It's time to gather our stuff and check out of the hotel. We'll be arriving at Pyongyang station to board the 10:25am train to Dandong
- 5:00pm evening arrival in Dandong
Here our Tour finishes – Happy new year everybody and all the best for 2019!
- Accommodation in the DPRK
- Trains to and from Dandong-Pyongyang
- All guides
- All tourist site entry fees
- DPRK Visa (50 euros)
- Chinese double entry visa
- Flights to/from China
- Pyongyang marathon participation fees (see main description)
- Spectator fee (20 euros)
- Any optional spending
No Details Found