Is North Korea safe to visit? Contrary to media sensationalism, North Korea is a safe destination and visits are trouble free. Nevertheless, some precautions should be taken when inside the country and travelers should not take risks or disrespect against established rules, laws and conventions. If the traveler is obedient, conscientious and respectful to these considerations, nothing will go wrong. That’s all there is to safety in North Korea!
Is there a risk of arrest?
Statistically, the probability of arrest in the DPRK is extremely low and we say that as experienced travelers of the country. Thousands of westerners every year travel to the country without incident. However, for U.S citizens more specifically, the probability of such has been heightened due to ongoing tensions between the countries, as a consequence U.S citizens are no longer permitted to travel to the DPRK
Despite what the media claim, the risk of arrest is low and unheard of in an organised tour group for non-Americans. However, this does not mean you should take any additional liberties to given instructions.
Following the rules
Is North Korea safe to visit? You will not experience any trouble in North Korea if you avoid the following:
- Do not bring any religious literature into the country and do not attempt to preach to locals
- Do not bring any Korean language content into the country
- Do not mock, insult, ridicule or show disrespect the country’s leaders
- Do not attempt to wander into the unauthorized area of the hotel (5th floor)
- Do not attempt to meddle or interfere with any signs, banners or political symbols, this is seen as an act of grotesque disrespect
- Avoid consuming excessive amounts of Alcohol on evenings which can limit your judgement
- If you have a background in the U.S military and still insist on going, keep it secret
Due to the nature of North Korea’s society and politics, locals will never attempt to commit a crime against you, in this regards there is no risk. Like you would anywhere, always keep a check over your belongings
No terrorist activity or groups exist in North Korea, this is not a risk.
Is North Korea safe to visit? The answer is your ultimately depends on your own actions and behaviour. The country wants to leave a good impression to its visitors and will not come after you unprovoked. Do nothing wrong and you have nothing to fear. The element of danger continues to be exaggerated, mostly by those who have never been!